|Author(s) ||Nele McElvany, Ramona Lorenz, Justine Stang, & Thomas Brüggemann|
|Institution(s) ||TU Dortmund University, Center for Research on Education and School Development (IFS)|
|Maybe further partner(s) |
|Theoretical framework/approach ||Digitalization in schools; job demands-resources model; implementation of innovations in organisations; teaching quality; wellbeing frameworks.|
|Research questions |
How did the closure of German schools in spring 2020 affect teaching methods, teaching, and teachers’ well-being?
|Themes / topics |
Experiences of teachers during the closure of schools during the pandemic in spring 2020; teaching methods, teachers’ well-being, teachers’ working conditions, teaching using digital media.
|Main findings of study / highlights |
- Teachers rated available ICT equipment and support as negative.
- Teachers rated students’ media competence as lacking, especially for elementary students.
- Systematic differences between school types emerged.
- Teachers were on average satisfied with their job and perceived moderate levels of exhaustion and stress.
- Teachers found that students learned less and that disparities due to socioeconomic family background increased in this phase.
- Cooperation between teachers and parents was good.
|Methods ||Quantitative Online-Survey|
|Analytic Appraoch ||Descriptive, explorative, explanative|
|Desig of data collection |
Online survey; recruitment by advertisement in social media (e.g., twitter, facebook) Instruments: PANAS, Working Condition Scale, TPACK, BIG-5 Openness, Parental Support, Job Satisfaction, Stress, Exhaustion, Level of content with working place, ICTS Usage
|Time(s) of data collection ||April 2020 – May 2020|
|Kind of sampling, kind and number of sample |
(Online) Convenience sample across all German federal states; 3292 teacher of public and private schools, 275 school principals
|Geographical area ||Germany|
- Lorenz, R., Lepper, C., Brüggemann, T., & McElvany, N. (2020). Unterricht während der Corona-Pandemie. Lehrkräftebefragung. Ergebnisse, Teil I: “Der Unterricht” [Teaching during the Corona pandemic. Teacher survey. Results, Part I: „Teaching”]. http://www.ifs.tu-dortmund.de/cms/de/Home/Pressematerialien/Pressematerialien/UCP_Kurzbericht_final.pdf.
- Lorenz, R., Brüggemann, T., & McElvany, N. (2020). Unterricht während der Corona-Pandemie. Zweiter Ergebnisbericht der bundesweiten Lehrkräftebefragung. Ergebnisse, Teil II: „Wohlbefinden der Lehrkräfte“ [Teaching during the Corona pandemic. Second report of results from a nationwide teacher survey. Results, Part II: „Teachers‘ Well-Being“]. http://www.ifs.tu-dortmund.de/cms/de/Home/Pressematerialien/Pressematerialien/UCP_Kurzbericht_Teil-II_final.pdf.
- McElvany, N., Lepper, C., Lorenz, R., & Brüggemann, T. (April 2021). Unterricht während der Corona-Pandemie. In D. Dohmen & K. Hurrelmann (Eds.), Generation Corona? Wie Jugendliche durch die Pandemie benachteiligt werden [Generation Corona? How young people are disadvantaged by the pandemic]. Weinheim: Beltz.
|Project website |
|Further information |